This was a difficult one to outline. In this message we talk about the high priesthood of Christ with a focus on His training through His sufferings in His humanity to be able to be sympathetic, compassionate and a present help to us as our High Priest.
I. Christ’s Obedience and Faith Through Suffering (Hebrews 5:7-9)
- Identifying with Humanity (Philippians 2:7-8) – Christ willingly took on human nature and experienced the limitations and struggles of humanity
- Acting as a Sympathetic High Priest (Hebrews 2:17-18) – Christ is able to sympathize with our weaknesses and has experienced temptation, yet without sin
II. Jesus’ Life and Sacrifice (John 1:14)
- Experiencing the Pains of Humanity (Isaiah 53:3) – Christ suffered rejection, persecution, and physical pain in order to identify with humanity
- Remaining Faithful to the Father (John 8:29) – Despite facing trials and temptations, Christ remained obedient to the Father’s will
- Providing Comfort and Guidance to Believers (Matthew 11:28-30) – Christ offers rest and refreshment to those who come to Him and invites them to take on His yoke
- God’s View of Humanity as Love and Sacrifice (John 3:16) – Christ’s sacrifice on the cross was a demonstration of God’s immense love for humanity
III. Christ’s High Priesthood (Hebrews 4:14-16)
- Ministering to Us (John 13:1-17) – Christ served His disciples by washing their feet and calls us to follow His example by serving others
- Strengthening and Renewing Us (Isaiah 40:31) – Christ provides strength to those who wait on Him and renews their strength
- Author and Finisher of Our Faith (Hebrews 12:2) – Christ is the beginning and end of our faith journey and is able to perfect our faith
- The Means of the Christian Life and Sanctification (John 14:6) – Christ is the way, the truth, and the life, and is able to sanctify us through His work on the cross
IV. Discerning the Voice of the Shepherd (John 10:27)
- Growing in the Knowledge of Christ (2 Peter 3:18) – Growing in knowledge of Christ allows us to better discern His voice
- The Living Word Discerning the Heart (Hebrews 4:12) – The living Word of God is able to pierce our hearts and reveal what is hidden
- Recognizing and Heeding the Gospel (Romans 1:16) – The gospel message is able to reveal the righteousness of God and is the means of salvation
V. Obedience and Faith in the Christian Faith (James 2:18)
- Jesus as the Obedient High Priest (Hebrews 5:8) – Christ demonstrated obedience to the Father even unto death
- Abraham’s Faith and Obedience (Genesis 15:6; Hebrews 11:8-12) – Abraham’s faith was credited to him as righteousness and he demonstrated obedience by offering Isaac
- Trusting in God’s Promises (2 Corinthians 1:20) – God’s promises are trustworthy and are fulfilled in Christ
VI. Following the Voice of the Shepherd (John 10:4)
- The Two Aspects of the Spirit (Romans 8:9-11; Acts 1:8) – The Holy Spirit enables believers to hear and follow the voice of the Shepherd
- Jesus’ Prayer on the Cross (Matthew 27:46; Mark 15:34) – Christ’s prayer on the cross demonstrates His reliance on the Father and His trust in His plan
- The Power of Jesus at His Baptism (Matthew 3:16-17) – The power of the Holy Spirit was evident in Christ’s baptism, empowering Him for ministry
VII. Jesus’ Death, Resurrection, and Sanctification (1 Corinthians 15:3-4)
- Display of Inner Strength and Power (2 Corinthians 12:9) – Christ’s death and resurrection demonstrated His divine power and strength
- Preaching Victory and Gaining Keys to Hell and Death (Revelation 1:18) – Christ’s victory over death and hell is a source of hope for believers
- Coming Forward Boldly to Be Renewed by God’s Grace (Hebrews 4:16) – Through Christ, believers can confidently approach the throne of grace to receive mercy and find grace
VIII. Jesus’ Identification with the Marginalized (Matthew 25:40)
- Psalm 22 and the Revelation of God’s Love (Psalm 22:1-31) – Psalm 22 portrays Christ’s identification with the suffering and marginalized
- God’s Presence in Times of Difficulty (Psalm 46:1) – God is a present help in times of trouble and is able to provide comfort and strength
IX. Jesus’ Prayer and Faithfulness (Luke 23:46)
- Demonstrating Total Faith and Obedience (John 5:30; Hebrews 11:17-19) – Christ’s prayer on the cross demonstrated His total faith and obedience to the Father
- Encouraging Praise and Worship (Psalm 22:22-23) – Christ’s victory on the cross is a source of praise and worship for believers
X. Sanctification Through Knowledge of Christ (Philippians 3:8-10)
- God’s Work in Us (Ephesians 2:8-9) – Sanctification is the work of God through Christ and is a result of grace
- Resting in Jesus (Matthew 11:28) – Christ invites believers to come to Him and find rest
- Rejecting Accusations and Embracing Truth (John 8:32) – The truth will set believers free from accusations and feelings of guilt.
Testing Your Understanding:
- What is the role of the high priest according to Hebrews?
- What is the danger of misinterpreting verses in the Bible?
- What is the significance of Jesus learning obedience in preparation for his high priesthood?
- How does Hebrews emphasize the concept of training and discipline in the Christian life?
- Why do some people avoid studying the book of Hebrews?
- What is the new priesthood according to the Order of Melchizedek and how is it different from Aaron’s priesthood?